Current status of the frameworks branch of kdelibs4-based games

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sat Apr 22 11:20:10 UTC 2017

Frederik Schwarzer ha scritto:
> On Sonntag, 9. April 2017 22:08:55 CEST Luigi Toscano wrote:
>
>> == kigo
>> * relevant contributors to the frameworks branch: Laurent Montel, Frederik
>> Schwarzer
>> * all changes in master are in frameworks
>> * no "QT5" porting notes
>> * missing appdata file
>> * no dependency on KDELibs4Support
>> * starts and apparently works (but I don't know Go so much), with one
>> runtime warning
>> * *suggestion*: recheck the warning, add appdata and probably merge into
>> master
>
> The problem with the Apply button I was talking about earlier ... I cannot
> reproduce it anymore.
> The last issue I can see is that the initial notification is shown half out of
> the window on the left. All following notifications are shown centered.

I see it as well.
The following code seems to work:

-    m_gameScene->showMessage(i18n("Set up a new game..."));
+    QTimer::singleShot(0, [=] { m_gameScene->showMessage(i18n("Set up a new
game...")); } );

Is it a proper solution? That one, or even without lambda; the question is
more about the usage of QTimer. I suspect it's something related to the
completion of the creation of the board.

> The warning on the command line has its origin in some connect automatism that
> triggers on names starting with "on_". In 2012 fregl changed that code a bit,
> switching away from the automatism to explicit connect calls but also kept the
> naming scheme, which now triggers the warning.
> See setupwidget.{cpp,h} in https://cgit.kde.org/kigo.git/commit/?
> id=0b0f490ab1d72adb761a1b67113c650badc3e2aa
>
> I renamed that slot making it clear that it's not relying on the auto-connect
> facility. ... ... ... OK, just saw that Andrius already did that a few hour
> ago. :D

Yes, Andrius was in cleanup mode yesterday and he fixed/cleaned Konquest, Kigo
and Lskat. Konquest and Kigo are both Frameworks based in master now, Lskat is
probably going to follow the same path today. No apparent regressions for
them, thanks all!

Partially related question, Andrius pointed me to this page:

https://community.kde.org/KDE_Games/Porting

Discussing with Frederik on IRC today, it seems that it's  more about porting
to the proper technology but not a blocker for the Frameworks porting, but I
have a question about "Rendering method" and namely about the sentence:

"Current solutions commonly include usage of a QSvgRenderer, combined either
with QGraphicsSvgItems or with (Q/K)PixmapCache. It is suggested to migrate to
KGameRenderer instead. "

I ported at least two games from KPixmapCache to KIconCache (and I think
Andrius did it for another one), is it still correct or KGameRenderer is still
the long-term/proper solution?

Ciao
--
Luigi