[Kde-games-devel] KF5 ports of the games

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 10:51:33 UTC 2015

Hi Frederik,

On 24/09/2015, at 3:34 PM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. September 2015, 03:48:23 schrieb Michael Palimaka:
>> On 23/09/15 21:44, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> basically I did not follow KDE development for about three years
>>> now, this whole KF5 is new to me and I am not familiar with how
>>> things are supposed to be done now. So when I now tried to build
>>> KShisen (libkdegames -> libkmahjongg -> kshisen), I was
>>> wondering, why it requires KF5::DNSSD. Have the requirements
>>> maybe been copied from libkdegames' cmake file to all games'
>>> cmake files?
>>>
>> A quick check of the source doesn't reveal any usage, so I guess
>> it's an unused dependency and should be removed.
>
> Yep. Same might go for Phonon, but I am not sure about that yet
> because there is an unused include left (might be one of my crimes
> from a few years ago).
> The question would be if that is a problem for all games. The change
> in cmake was introduced by Raymond Wooninck. Maybe there was a reason
> for that? I mean, compiling libkdegames needs those as well.

I think the dependency on Phonon should be removed.  It was only
there as a fallback, in case OpenAL and SndFile libs would be
unavailable on some platform or deficient in some way for playing
games sounds.

There has been no problem with OpenAL in about 4-5 years of
releases and distributions of games on Linux, BSD, Windows and
OSX, whereas there were problems with Phonon sound on games
before that.

I suggested removing the dependency on Phonon several months
ago, but Albert wanted to wait till after porting libkdegames to KF5.

> Do all libs and games need a dependency review?

Could be that a closer look at libkdegames is needed.

For example, the libkdegamesprivate section was supposed to be
dropped as soon as there were no more games using it.  Any games
that are still using it should change over to newer classes in the top level
of libkdegames,

Cheers, Ian W.