[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 01:38:14 UTC 2015

On 30/11/2015, at 10:52 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:

> Am Montag, 30. November 2015, 07:10:44 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> On 28/11/2015, at 7:34 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
>
> Hi Ian,
>
>> So after the merge, the KMahjongg master code is going to be very
>> different: fixing a new bug that might appear at the last minute in
>> 15.12 might be that much more complicated to port into master.
>> That problem might have to be faced eventually, but I'd rather not
>> be facing it when we are in the last stages of a release.
>
> Good point, waiting for the dust to settle.
> As for the bug reports, I am planning on going through them once
> everything sits on master. It would be too early to close bugs as
> fixed before the merge. As a teacher of mine used to say: "there is no
> 'almost done' in todo lists" :)

:-)

>>> For me it looks quite good and I did not see problems introduced
>>> in frameworks branch so far.
>>
>> BTW, I believe that the frameworks branch has to be totally free of
>> KDE 4 usages, including KDE 4 Support usages, before you merge
>> to master.  I trust you have dotted all the i's and crossed all the
>> t's… :-)
>
> I was going for a "port what can be ported easily and them merge"
> strategy to get all the remaining frameworks branches merged as soon
> as possible. In some cases it was easy, e.g. to port away from dirs()
> but in this case, it might be a bit more tricky because the files in
> question are stored in /usr/share/kmahjongg/layouts/ and I did not see
> an equivalent to that in the QStandardDirs namespace.

Do you mean QStandardPaths(?).

> Also there is more things like netaccess and configuration stuff
> coming from kdelibs4support. Not sure if I want to tackle these now.

The KMahjongg class is using KGlobal::dirs()->findAllResources() and
there is a special example of porting that in
https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes/KStandardDirs.

Don't ask me what it all means, though.  QStandardPaths has been a
real stumbling block in Apple OS X implementation.

Elsewhere, I believe use of /usr/share/kmahjongg/whatever/ is quite
normal in KF5.  It used to be $KDEDIR/share/apps/kmahjongg/whatever/.

It is vital get all your ducks in a row - build, install, run-time access to
dirs and files - otherwise the apps will fall in a heap.

Cheers, Ian W.