[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch (with merged qgraphic)

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Tue Nov 17 10:56:35 UTC 2015

Am Dienstag, 17. November 2015, 13:47:36 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> On 16/11/2015, at 6:51 PM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:

Hi Ian,

> > Or to quote the Hagakure: "It is bad when one
> > thing becomes two." *coughs*
>
> Hmmm… I had not heard of the Hagakure before…  The author may
> have been referring to Japan having two rulers at the time…  Our
> case may not be so serious.

Funny how the same book has something to say about this as well:
"Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."

But it was just meant as a joke, so I will not go further with
this. :)

> Note that (in the "Mahjongg archaeology" thread), Roney reported a
> successful merge of qgraphic to frameworks, with no difficulties.
> So I think it is safe for you to try step c, Frederik.

Hmm, "with not difficulties" is a relative term. Some code has changed
in both branches. It will take some more time to investigate if they
were e.g. removed in qgraphics since unneeded or added in frameworks
for some reason. Anyway. The basic merge is done. I compiled the game
and played a few rounds on different layouts (Clubs is indeed nice for
winning :)), changed backgrounds and tilesets.

Now the new code (and some merged code) have to be ported again to
KF5. I will do this this week but help is always appreciated.

> I do not mind "getting my hands dirty" with KMahjongg, but I refuse
> to have anything further to do with Frameworks and KF5.  In
> particular, I cannot build Frameworks in my system (Apple OS X), so
> I will not be able to test anything on the kmahjongg/frameworks
> branch.

Ah, makes sense. A pity though, since IIRC one of the reasons for the
KF5 modularisation effort was the improved portability. On the other
hand, if there is no core developer with iHardware, then there is
noone suitable to answer bug reports reasonably.

> However, I am acquainted with the KMahjongg code and am a reasonably
> good player, so I should be able to help you with queries you may
> have. And I could at least eyeball/review any changes you make.

That is good to know, thanks.

Regards
Frederik