[Kde-games-devel] Freeze in 6 weeks

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 19:37:54 UTC 2015

El Dijous, 29 de gener de 2015, a les 12:48:42, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> Hi Albert,
>
> On 28/01/2015, at 9:58 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Dimarts, 27 de gener de 2015, a les 15:53:32, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> >>
> >> No, not in KMahjongg.  But with some games, who knows?  Do KSudoku
> >> and Palapeli players want to exchange puzzles over the Internet?  Or use
> >> remote locations to save their games?
> >>
> >> Or are those features there because network-transparent I/O was
> >> fashionable
> >> with KDE Games programmers a few years ago?… ;-)  It is not that hard to
> >> save a file locally and then move it to a remote site… or attach it to an
> >> email...
> >
> > This is non-sense, why remove network-transparency?
> >

> > What you should do is fix KF5 on Mac OSX to work instead of removing
> > features from apps.
>
> The world does not owe KF5 a living, neither do I.
>
> Here is how it is and how it will be, Albert.

Fortune teller time!

> The KDE-Mac group and MacPorts developers are now able to run KDE 4
> apps, utilities and libraries reasonably well on the Apple OS X platform. We
> can do this without having to have kdeinit4, klauncher4 and kded4 running
> all the time.
>
> A year ago there were many failing KDE 4 applications on Apple OS X and
> it was impossible to get out a crash report, due to failures in KCrash and
> Dr Konqi.  Most of the problems have been in KDE and Qt libraries,
> utilities and background processes, rather than the apps themselves.  The
> KDE-Mac group have fixed the worst things up, on their own, with very
> little help from the KDE core developers, who said they were too busy
> developing Frameworks and KF5. Some KDE developers were actually hostile,
> with comments like "Screw OS X".
>
> Thanks to Marko, we now have a working CI for Frameworks and KF5 software
> on Apple OS X.  So code can receive some minimal testing now, before landing
> at MacPorts, Homebrew or Fink --- as opposed to zero testing of Apple
> portability code in KDE 4 software.
>
> We also expect that the KDE Community will acquire some Apple hardware or
> virtual installations on which KDE developers can test and diagnose issues,
> new features and bugs --- as was discussed early last year on kde-devel.
>
> We do not yet have widespread availability of Qt 5, Frameworks and KF5 on
> Apple OS X systems, but it is coming.
>
> When we have that, the KDE Community may expect to start receiving bug
> reports on Frameworks and KF5 software as implemented on Apple OS X.
> And we will expect those reports to be addressed.  No more excuses about
> no longer releasing the software or being too busy on Frameworks and KF5.

You're expecting too much, *I* am not going to spend time trying to fix bugs
in Apple OS X, I have enough bugs to fix on Linux, and those don't need me to
use an OS I don't like.

Sure, if you provide people a Virtual Machine they can use, some people may
try to fix things, but the bottom line is, if you want to fix something in a
Mac, you need someone that prioritizes a Mac bug over a Linux (that will most
probably be a Mac bug)

Ssomehow I don't think a many of our developers are going to do that, so if
you want to improve the situation, what you need to do is attract more Mac
developers to KDE, not more KDE developers to Mac.

> The KDE-Mac group and the MacPorts developers can help with narrowing
> down and diagnosing problems.  We may even suggest a patch sometimes,
> but the KF5 and Frameworks developers must stand behind their own products
> and be prepared to fix them themselves.
>
> If they do not, and if the products contain too many problems, I for one
> will be recommending not to release them on MacPorts and to stick with the
> KDE 4 versions.

You can recommend whatever you want :)

Good luck on your non free OS,
  Albert