[Kde-games-devel] Freeze in 6 weeks

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 06:38:23 UTC 2015

Le Tuesday 27 January 2015 23:58:22 Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> El Dimarts, 27 de gener de 2015, a les 15:53:32, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> > Hi Jeremy,
> >
> > Re Save and Load in KMahjongg requiring kded and friends:-
> >
> > On 27/01/2015, at 2:00 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> > > Ah, maybe it's the use of kio :/
> >
> > Any game or any app can crash… and then DrKonqi requires KIO
> > (via XML remote procedure calls) to connect to Bugzilla and submit
> > a bug report or check for duplicates.  I cannot see DrK for KF5 being
> > re-worked in any immediate time frame… :-(
> >
> > > Is that strictly required for kmahjongg to save and load files?
> >
> > No.  Actually, KMJ uses getSaveUrl() but then goes on to check that
> >
> > it has a local file name.  On the load(), it uses getOpenUrl() and then:
> >     KIO::NetAccess::download(url, fname, this);
> >
> > A "braces and belt" approach?
> >
> > I think consistency should be restored, i.e. use getSaveFileName() and
> > getOpenFileName().  The actual file-I/O code in KMahjongg is using
> > QFile and QDataStream.
> >
> > > Isn't QFileDialog and such adequate here?
> >
> > Should be!  With the added benefit that QFileDialog gives you a native
> > file dialog on non-Linux platforms… :-)  This can make Qt-based apps
> > consistent with other apps on that platform.
> >
> > > I mean are we expecting to save and load the save games over the
> > > network or something that would require kio?
> >
> > No, not in KMahjongg.  But with some games, who knows?  Do KSudoku
> > and Palapeli players want to exchange puzzles over the Internet?  Or use
> > remote locations to save their games?
> >
> > Or are those features there because network-transparent I/O was
> > fashionable
> > with KDE Games programmers a few years ago?… ;-)  It is not that hard to
> > save a file locally and then move it to a remote site… or attach it to an
> > email...
>
> This is non-sense, why remove network-transparency? What you should do is
> fix KF5 on Mac OSX to work instead of removing features from apps.

I am agree with Albert if there is a problem with network-transparency on
MacOsX it's better to fix it that remove it.

And this problem will be in other application.
It's not just a problem with kdegames so fix it for kdegames will fix for all
application.

We can't remove feature each time we need to fix on a specific platform no ?

Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,  http://www.kdab.fr