[Kde-games-devel] Konquest

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 8 19:27:19 UTC 2015

El Dijous, 8 de gener de 2015, a les 20:14:33, Inge Wallin va escriure:
> On Thursday, January 08, 2015 19:58:54 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Dijous, 8 de gener de 2015, a les 19:19:12, Inge Wallin va escriure:
> > > Regarding bugfixes, they can be handled in two ways:
> > > 1. Add them to master and cherry-pick in release branches (the calligra
> > > way) 2. Add them to the release branches and merge them to master (the
> > > kde-edu way) I don't know how they are actually supposed to be handled
> > > in
> > > kde-games.
> >
> > Merging is always safer than cherry-picking (you never forget stuff in one
> > of the branches). I never understood why calligra decided to go the
> > cherry-
> > picking way.
>
> Well, sometimes you don't want to forward port a bugfix. An example could be
> that the bug itself doesn't exist anymore or a completely different
> solution is needed in master due to a big refactor. The cherry-pick method
> at least gives you a choice.

If the bugfix doesn't apply you can merge and then revert explaining why it
doesn't apply to this branch, and if it conflicts you can just resolve the
conflict properly, sure sometimes it's not trivial but I don't think that
happens often and i sincerely think it outweights the problem of leaving fixes
behind.

> I think that there is less refactoring going
> on in kde-edu applications since they are generally smaller, so it's
> probably more appropriate there.
>
> All of this said, what *is* the preferred method for handling bugfixes in
> kde- games?

I'm voting for merge :D