[Kde-games-devel] Merge frameworks in master

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 03:31:31 UTC 2015

Hi Laurent,

On 31/12/2014, at 5:23 PM, laurent Montel wrote:
> Le Wednesday 31 December 2014 15:02:50 Ian Wadham a écrit :
>> Thank you very much, Laurent, for all your work on this.  I particularly
>> appreciate you tackling KGoldrunner and Palapeli, which are quite
>> large code-bases.
>>
>> On 31/12/2014, at 9:54 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> El Dimarts, 30 de desembre de 2014, a les 20:59:44, laurent Montel va
>
>>> What the maintainers of the others say?
>>
>> I am still the maintainer of KGoldrunner, KJumpingCube, KSudoku, Kubrick and
>> Palapeli.
>>
>> Merging the Frameworks versions into master would make it impossible for me
>> to work on them in the foreseeable future.  The reason is that I work on an
>> Apple MacBook using OS X operating system and nobody has yet succeeded in
>> building and running Frameworks-based applications on that platform.
>>
>> We have one guy (Marko Käning) working on it, but he is on Christmas
>> holidays now.  He is using Bovo and KMahjongg as test cases.  Just before
>> Christmas he reported that he had KMahjongg running, but it would not Quit
>> properly…
>
> Ok but I can't help you in macosx support.

We do not expect you to, Laurent… :-)

>> So please, please hold your horses for now, Laurent… :-)  Please do not
>> merge the frameworks branch into master.
>
> Ah.
> So you don't think it”s a good idea to move theses applications to next kf5
> release ?

I don't understand what it is that you would like to do.  In your original email
you said:

    "Now I would like to merge in master as I think it's a good idea to have it in
     next kde release 'kde-15.3„ kde-15.4„ I don't know when it will release.

     What do you think about it ?"

As far as I am aware, and I think I heard this from Albert on another list, there
will be no further releases from master --- KDE 4.14 was the last one.  Indeed,
if I understand correctly, the concept of "master" is obsolete in Frameworks/KF5
and releases are done from parallel repositories, e.g. Dr Konqi source code
exists in the kde/kde-runtime repository and also (temporarily, I am told) in
plasma-workspace repository on KF5.

I am worried by what you meant by "merge in master" in the above.  If you meant
frameworks+master -> master, I am against that, because I am using kdesrc-build
to get code for the latest KDE 4 and cannot (yet) compile and use KF5 code on
Apple OS X.  OTOH, if you meant frameworks+master -> frameworks, that is OK
by me.  It will leave me shooting at a fixed target for any bug fixes or improvements
I may write for the five games I maintain.

I am not against releasing games to KF5, as long as you can do it without undercutting
my work in KDE 4 on the Apple OS X platform and as long as you or someone else can
thoroughly test the KF5 versions.  I do not have that facility yet, nor can I offer support
for the KF5 versions of the five games I maintain.

If I do make changes to the five games, I will attempt to forward-port the changes,
but I will be unable to test them on KF5.  There is some unfinished work in Palapeli,
KJumpingCube and KSudoku, when I have time for it.

BTW KSudoku and Kubrick depend on OpenGL and Qt's support for OpenGL
widgets, a requirement that is not so common in other KDE software, I believe.
I hope this will not present any problems re porting to Frameworks/KF5.

Cheers, Ian W.