[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 02:46:22 UTC 2015

Hi Frederik,

On 13/12/2015, at 1:17 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2015, 13:08:45 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> On 12/12/2015, at 1:07 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
>>> Am Freitag, 11. Dezember 2015, 14:10:11 schrieb Ian Wadham:

> @Wolfgang: please check if the classic tiles (current master of
> libkmahjongg) behave correctly in Kajongg.
>
>> So let's go with those 70% shadows… :-)
>
> Hehe, initially I tried 50% as it looked nice in Inkscape but it did
> not look right in the game with lighter backgrounds.

I found exactly the same thing, so switched to 70%… :-)

>> The following link put me onto how to get a bird's eye view of
>> object structures in Inkscape, especially if you have readable IDs
>> for objects, instead of a bunch of computer-generated IDs.  So try
>> it on the version of "classic.svg" that you sent me… :-)
>> http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/XML-Basic.html
>
> Wow, thanks. I did not see the internal editor. I always opened the
> file in Inkscape and Vim alternately. That's why I decided to add
> useful IDs and Labels. :)
> I prefer to edit files in a text editor. Not only because it is
> sometimes easier to edit specific properties but also because the diffs
> tend to be cleaner. Opening a UI file to change a property often
> changes lots of stuff by changing defaults, moving stuff around and so
> on. So Vim is still my best friend. :)

See http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/XML-Nodes.html,
especially the warning in the first para about "some things … not (being)
so sensible"…  Above all, I would say it is not so sensible to mess with
text-lines that control clones, groups, structures and links… ;-)

Also see http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/XML-Examples.html
which shows how to do some things that are legal SVG but not covered
by Inkscape actions.

BTW, that Inkscape manual seems to be a lot better than when I first
read it about 8 years ago.  It has a good index and Table of Contents and
the individual topics are well written.

It still leads off with some examples that get rather complicated if you try to
follow a "monkey see, monkey do" approach with all of them, but the simpler
examples are a good start and the more complex ones show what is possible.

> Hehe, I was thinking about looking at other SVG files as well to maybe
> find some issues there. Once a bit into it, it's fun to do some
> graphics-related mechanics. :)

Have a look at libkmahjongg/tilesets/bamboo.svg if you feel like a small
challenge.  It's a nice-looking set of tiles, but unfinished…  In particular,
some tile faces are still copies of the Classic versions: the 1 of Bamboo
(a bird), all 4 Seasons and 3 of the Flowers.  To make the theme show up
in a game, uncomment the lines after "##bamboo" in CMakeLIsts.txt.

Also (an "easy" one), three of the Winds' characters are off-centre vertically.

Maybe you could find the artist, Matthew Woehlke, and get him to help.  He
used to be a good contributor to KDE Games a few years ago.

>> Please commit and push ...
>
> Did so just now. Please check.
>
> Thanks for your help. I am learning a lot right now. :)

No worries.  I am learning too… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.