[Kde-games-devel] Porting KDE game/games to KDE Frameworks 5

Anuj Pahuja kamikazeanuj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 09:08:26 UTC 2014

Thanks for the support Roney. I proposed the idea in the kde-devel channel
in IRC and received mixed reviews. As per them, it's a very doable and
worthwhile project for the summer but is easy and would not take much time
to implement. So could anyone help me narrowing down the scope of my
project or add should I port to QML/QtQuick as well for it to be a
reasonable project?

Regards

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Roney Gomes <roney477 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> > Hi Anuj,
> >

> > I think porting to KF5 is a very worthwhile project and it would fit
> well as
> > a GSoC project. In fact we had these exact types of projects when we went
> > from KDE3 / Qt 3 to KDE4 / Qt 4.
> >

> > However, there are two issues, and I will be brutally frank here:
> >

> > 1. We need to have a mentor for such a project. Somebody has to step up
> and
> > volunteer.
> >

> > 2. We (KDE as a whole, not specifically the games group) has had some
> pretty
> > bad experiences with people who just go into the GSoC, does mediocre job
> and
> > then disappear. So the general consensus nowadays seems to be that we
> will
> > not take any students who have not proven themselves beforehand that they
> > are willing to enter the community, learn the code, work inside the
> > community and generally be valuble community members in their own right.
> >

> > So if you are serious about this, I suggest to start working now already.
> > Not only will that show your qualities, you will also increase your
> chances
> > of pulling it off during the GSoC itself.
>
> Anuj proved himself already. I mentored him on last SoK when we worked
> on two new features for KBounce. Unluckily I am not available for
> mentoring him again as GSoC will require much more responsibility and
> available time, which I currently lack.
>
> I really enjoyed his idea though, and considering it is not extremely
> tied to KDE Games itself, any person well versed in KF5 won't have
> much trouble mentoring him.
> --
> Roney

Anuj Pahuja
3rd year Undergraduate
B.E.(Hons.) Computer Science

*Birla Institute of Technology & Science,* *Pilani*