[Kde-games-devel] Porting KDE game/games to KDE Frameworks 5

Roney Gomes roney477 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 20:21:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> Hi Anuj,
>

> I think porting to KF5 is a very worthwhile project and it would fit well as
> a GSoC project. In fact we had these exact types of projects when we went
> from KDE3 / Qt 3 to KDE4 / Qt 4.
>

> However, there are two issues, and I will be brutally frank here:
>

> 1. We need to have a mentor for such a project. Somebody has to step up and
> volunteer.
>

> 2. We (KDE as a whole, not specifically the games group) has had some pretty
> bad experiences with people who just go into the GSoC, does mediocre job and
> then disappear. So the general consensus nowadays seems to be that we will
> not take any students who have not proven themselves beforehand that they
> are willing to enter the community, learn the code, work inside the
> community and generally be valuble community members in their own right.
>

> So if you are serious about this, I suggest to start working now already.
> Not only will that show your qualities, you will also increase your chances
> of pulling it off during the GSoC itself.

Anuj proved himself already. I mentored him on last SoK when we worked
on two new features for KBounce. Unluckily I am not available for
mentoring him again as GSoC will require much more responsibility and
available time, which I currently lack.

I really enjoyed his idea though, and considering it is not extremely
tied to KDE Games itself, any person well versed in KF5 won't have
much trouble mentoring him.
--
Roney