[Kde-games-devel] Gsoc

Roney Gomes roney477 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 21:02:26 UTC 2013

Hello Rajat.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Rajat chawla <chawlarajat303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I just found out the reason why KDE games is so isolated and so less
> people are actively involved in it. I have no regrets that I couldn't make
> it to gsoc this year but atleast I was active for a couple of months. And I
> am shocked to see the person who got selected. Ha ha ha I never saw him in
> mailing list, nor in irc's neither I found any bugfixes by him. So many
> students were involved actively from not only India but some other countries
> as well but I couldn't find a name of single of them. I had thought of
> getting attached with kdegames for whole of my life but now but I'll not
> even open the kde page again in my life.
>
> Seriously, I choose the wrong organisation where everything is prefixed.
> Huh..

I understand what you may be feeling, it's very understandable that
you're angry and frustrated. Things like this tend to happen when we
put much effort and expectations into something we really value.
However, smart people know how bad anger is and how dangerous it is to
do anything in the middle of an anger storm.

With the right words, you could have raised an important debate to
this list, talking about some of the problems we have but are never
put into discussion.

My opinion -- I'm talking only by myself here -- is that KDE Games
doesn't get the right attention from the KDE community. We lack
leadership, we have no goals, we have no measures to attract more
people to us. We had a maintainer, but he disappeared without
explanation and a few ideas and goals have also gone with him.

See, I'm also frustrated and at least irritated about how the project
has been treated in the last months. GSoC was the best chance I had to
work on something I really enjoy as well as an opportunity to keep my
studies going.

Like you, I didn't pass. That's OK, I won't argue against it. What
disappoints me the most is that I didn't get a single reply to the
e-mails I sent to the dev list, not to mention that -- AFAIK -- we've
got only one mentor this year. This project deserves more and I wish I
could do more to the games I decided to maintain.

The only feedback I got was someone questioning me why I did not plan
to work with QML. Well, did we discuss about that already? Is it a
consensus that all games are going to be ported to QML anyway? How
things are decided in this project? How transparent and open about
GSoC KDE is? Are there projects receiving more slots for their
"importance"?

You see, there are lots of things needing discussion here and I guess
that's an excellent opportunity for that.

P.S.: CC'ing to the dev list because I believe some people there can
answer some of these questions.
--
Roney