[Kde-games-devel] Compiling projects with kdevelop 4.2

Roney Gomes roney477 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 20:26:57 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 01:41 PM, Manas Joshi wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Manas.

> I downloaded projects from <www.projects.kde.org> and tried to compile them
> using kdevelop 4.2 .However , I failed each time ,can anyone guide me about
> how to compile THESE projects using kdevelop .

So, are you having a problem during the building process? Because, if
you're using KDevelop's importing tool and then selected the project's
main CMakeLists.txt nothing wrong can happen.

> When I went through the cmake
> file ,I found it missed the basic requirements like version number and all
> but then it came to my mind that I had downloaded this from the official
> kde package.....seriously require help in building projects.. say kgames....
> Thanks in advance

Don't blame others for the problems you're having. It's very likely
you're facing a common problem that affects most newbies. All games are
compiling and running with no problems.

I'd advise you to calmly configure the building and running processes,
preferentially putting the build files in an external folder.

When you're importing a project, KDevelop will show you a dialog where
you can define a build directory and an installation prefix. This
installation prefix is where the project's files will be placed. I
recommend you to install everything in a "kde" folder on your home
directory -- this simplifies things and allows you to test your compiled
binary against the package provided by your distro.

After the project has been imported, build and install it. Then go to
Run > Configure Launches and add a new launching profile in your
project's section. In the "Executable" field, browse through the
directory you defined as your install prefix and look for a "bin"
folder. Select the right binary then click OK.

Now everything should build, install and run as expected.

--
Roney