[Kde-games-devel] How Should I start?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:07:36 UTC 2013

On 18/02/2013, at 11:51 PM, Zephyr Zebi wrote:
> I want to be a part of KDE community. I am a college student at IIIT Allahabad,India. I have some(basics) QT experience(I learned from a youtube tutorial of 103 videos). I have made few 2D games like(Tetris,Snakes.. etc) in C# .Net. I have made a simple fighting 2D game like Hugo(the flash one) in Blitz Max. I've been writing software’s and games for past 1 year. During the course, I learned (Qt, .Net, JDK) development frameworks, seasoned with some experience and knowledge in programming. I am good at learning new languages and new frameworks. I have a lot of experience in competitive programming. Am a avid user of topcoder(handle - Redempt1on) I have a algorithmic rating of 1369(77.768 percentile). During my ACM-ICPC experience I have learned a lot about algorithms. My github profile.
>
> I want to expand my programming horizons to real world projects. I want to contribute to KDE. However, am new to open-source and have zero experience of big projects.Some of KDE ideas look scary and some of them I don't even understand. I am really passionate about this and I don't want to miss this opportunity. I am interested in KDE games. How should I start? What will be KDE games ideas this year?

See and follow the advice here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-games-devel&m=136115240408230&w=2
and read the whole of that thread (gsoc 2013: port kde game to qml):
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-games-devel&r=1&b=201302&w=2

Then stay on this list show us what you can do.  There is a world of
difference between teaching yourself programming and taking part
in a real world project.  Be prepared for some challenges!

Cheers, Ian W.