[Kde-games-devel] Trouble with branch KDE/4.12

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Dec 29 15:26:35 UTC 2013

El Diumenge, 29 de desembre de 2013, a les 13:37:06, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> Hi Albert,

Hi there,

> I am getting into a worse and worse mess with this. I am trying to follow
> your suggestion to commit the bug 310411 fix in 4.11 first and then
> merge forward, step by step, into 4.12 and master.  So far I have
> succeeded with the 4.11 and 4.12 steps and am ready to do the
> "master" steps.
>
> Trouble is that I had already committed the bug fix on my local master,
> a day or two ago, and I already have at least one other branch that includes
> the fix and one or two branches that don't (e.g. the Preview feature which
> is currently under review).
>
> I really want to avoid having the "merge from 4.12" history and my own
> local master history both appearing on the central repository.
>
> I tried "git revert" on my local master's copy of the fix, but that only
> added another bit of history (for the revert).  Then I tried
> "git checkout origin/master", hoping that would re-synchronise my
> local master with KDE base, but no such luck: I went into an alarming
> [no branch] state, with a message that began "You are in 'detached HEAD'
> state. …". So I quickly did "git checkout master" and got back to where I
> was before.
> Do I need to save all my local edits (e.g. as .patch files) and then
> make a fresh clone of Palapeli?  Or is there some easier way to
> simplify the local history to omit my commits to local master?
> Much of the coding I am doing ATM is experimental and I would
> not weep too much if I lost some of it.

If you want to kill everything you had (i.e. "re-synchronise my local master
with KDE master") you have to do

Note that this will *delete* and *vanish* any of the changes you had
git checkout master            <-- make sure you're in the local master branch
git reset --hard origin/master <-- reset the local master to the remote master

Now if you want to keep your changes that you don't want to commit yet
somewhere I would do this (not sure if it's the best thing I am not a super
git expert either)

git log origin/master..master

To know the commits you have between the "remote master" and your local
master. There note the sha1sum of the commit and then save them with

git show $sha1commit > some_file_for_later_number_N

for each of the commits.

This way you can still keep the code you made and add it back later with
patch.

Since you've had some troubles, i'd also do
git diff master origin/master
before commiting to make sure you are pushing what you want to push.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
  Albert