[Kde-games-devel] Trouble with branch KDE/4.12

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 02:37:06 UTC 2013

Hi Albert,

I am getting into a worse and worse mess with this. I am trying to follow
your suggestion to commit the bug 310411 fix in 4.11 first and then
merge forward, step by step, into 4.12 and master.  So far I have
succeeded with the 4.11 and 4.12 steps and am ready to do the
"master" steps.

Trouble is that I had already committed the bug fix on my local master,
a day or two ago, and I already have at least one other branch that includes
the fix and one or two branches that don't (e.g. the Preview feature which is
currently under review).

I really want to avoid having the "merge from 4.12" history and my own
local master history both appearing on the central repository.

I tried "git revert" on my local master's copy of the fix, but that only
added another bit of history (for the revert).  Then I tried
"git checkout origin/master", hoping that would re-synchronise my
local master with KDE base, but no such luck: I went into an alarming
[no branch] state, with a message that began "You are in 'detached HEAD' state. …".
So I quickly did "git checkout master" and got back to where I was before.

Do I need to save all my local edits (e.g. as .patch files) and then
make a fresh clone of Palapeli?  Or is there some easier way to
simplify the local history to omit my commits to local master?
Much of the coding I am doing ATM is experimental and I would
not weep too much if I lost some of it.

Confused, Ian W.