[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 21:18:02 UTC 2012

On 22/09/2012, at 2:25 AM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 21. September 2012, 17:44:36 schrieb Christian Krippendorf:
>> but there are much more commits... these few were only a cut of all. I will
>> give you a whole list... and then you could decide if it does not take to much
>> time.
>
> a simple shell script should do it, something for tonight. I already have
> the list of revisions to be done (86 of them)

Welcome to the club, Christian … :-)  I too have a large unmerged branch,
in KGoldrunner and for the same purpose.  It is called "qgv" on git.

The thing to be aware of is that when you do "clone" in git you get a local
copy of the whole repository, including all branches and tags, all in the same
local directory structure.  They are not in separate parts of the repository and
not in separate work areas.

To work on a branch, you just start with "git checkout <branch name>" or
similarly with a tag.  When done, you "git commit" locally on that branch and
"git push" to that branch on the central repository when required, maybe a few
(local) commits at a time.

That is very convenient, but I find it rather hair-raising when dealing with
a large branch.  Sooner or later, I am going to have the wrong branch active
when I do changes, compiles, tests, commits and pushes … ;-)  And I think
merging that branch might be a bit hairy too.

Wolfgang and others gave me a lot of useful advice about git on the thread
called "git conversion tonight".  It might be worth your while to have a look at it
if you have not already seen it.

Cheers, Ian W.