[Kde-games-devel] git conversion tonight

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 03:09:26 UTC 2012

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for your helping hand.  And many thanks too for
all the work you have done on the changeover to git.

On 09/09/2012, at 6:48 AM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. September 2012, 23:15:18 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> Luckily I just got to a major milestone in development on that branch
>> yesterday.
>
> everything in svn right now is also in the git repository.
>
>> But how will it look on GIT?  Where will I find it?  And how
>> will I merge it back into trunk?
>
> things will be easier than you think, after getting used to it.

Once I figured out what is happening to the *data* (files and changes)
I started to get used to it.

I also used most of the ideas on http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Configuration

> git clone kde:kgoldrunner
>
> git branch -a
>
> shows you all branches
>
> git checkout qgv

> will set your working directory to head of qgv branch
>
>> It will be a massive merge.  All of the graphics of KGoldrunner has been
>> re-written.  There will be several large source-files to delete and new files
>> to add.  I have not yet deleted the obsolete files on the branch.

I got into trouble immediately by doing "git branch qgv" by mistake … :-(
Then my anongit connection broke down again, but eventually I got sorted.

The connection path to anongit from Australia is not reliable (as ping shows).
I have had trouble with it before.  Would it be bad to use the following config:
    [url "git at git.kde.org:"]
        insteadOf = kde:
rather than anongit?

> you can find more info here:
>
> http://git-scm.com/course/svn.html
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Recipes

That info seems to be incomplete when you need remote access (pull and
push).  What parameters are correct to use?  man git-push has some
circular self-referencing talk about "refs" and is not at all clear to me.

Eventually, after browsing around and some experimentation using
--dry-run, I settled on these recipes (for my branch, after git checkout qgv):

    git pull origin qgv    and    git push origin qgv

I assume I would do the same with "origin master" to do the equivalent
of what used to be a "svn update" and a "svn commit" on TRUNK.

Am I doing the right thing?  Before I attempt the big merge, I'd like to be
sure that changes are getting to where they should be and I am not
breaking anything. I have pushed in five of my local commits since KDE
Games started on git.  Two of them were deletions of files (3 files and 6
files respectively).  Everything looks OK when browsing the following:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdegames/kgoldrunner/repository/show?rev=qgv

Thanks again, Wolfgang.

Cheers, Ian W.