[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner: merging v. rebasing

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 06:38:20 UTC 2012

On 15/10/2012, at 6:10 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:

> Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2012, 12:27:15 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> So what should I do?  Merge or rebase?
>
> qgv is known in the central repository and should not
> be rebased for the reasons you cited.
>
>> And in any case, how do I go about it?  Should I:
>>
>> - Commit and push my final change to "qgv"
>> - Pull "master"
>
> I'd do pull --rebase master here
>
>> - Switch to "master" (locally)
>> - Merge or rebase "qgv"
>
> merge qgv
>
>> - Push "master"
>
> yes, that is how I would do it. Just before pushing, check if
> everything is as wanted. Look at gitk --all - you will find every
> commit from master and qgv exactly once, which IMHO is a very
> clean history. If you do not like the result, do not push but
> restore a backup of your local git clone and start over again.

Thanks, Wolfgang.  The merge went smoothly and without any
conflicts.  FWIW, the statistics were:

6 files deleted (old graphics classes)
8 code files added (new graphics classes)
6 PNG files added (thumbnails for the themes)

After the merge, the whole game compiled, built and ran first time.
I am impressed!

BTW, players of KGoldrunner will see very little difference in the
gameplay and graphics.  The status bar is gone and all game
status is in the scene now.  Also the theme-selection dialog is new.

> when qgv is merged, it ceases to exist.

There is still a qgv branch, both locally and on the repository.
Should those be deleted somehow?

Some other questions:

 - I expected kgoldrunner/CMakeLists.txt to conflict.  There were
    revisions on both master and branch, but both ended up with
    the same text (i.e. standalone build and move of doc/).  It seems
    GIT merge is smart enough to realise this and take just one of them
    (the older one) into master (?).

 - Is there no GIT log message to indicate when and why the merge
    took place?

Thanks again, Wolfgang, and congratulations on a GSoC job well
done, Roney.

All the best, Ian W.