[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner: merging v. rebasing

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Mon Oct 15 07:10:46 UTC 2012

Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2012, 12:27:15 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> So what should I do?  Merge or rebase?

qgv is known in the central repository and should not
be rebased for the reasons you cited.

> And in any case, how do I go about it?  Should I:
>
> - Commit and push my final change to "qgv"
> - Pull "master"

I'd do pull --rebase master here

> - Switch to "master" (locally)
> - Merge or rebase "qgv"

merge qgv

> - Push "master"

yes, that is how I would do it. Just before pushing, check if
everything is as wanted. Look at gitk --all - you will find every
commit from master and qgv exactly once, which IMHO is a very
clean history. If you do not like the result, do not push but
restore a backup of your local git clone and start over again.

when qgv is merged, it ceases to exist.

--
Wolfgang