[Kde-games-devel] [PANIC] Git conversion deadline approaching

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed May 9 13:08:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Viranch Mehta <viranch.mehta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay I have been looking into this, and one question I have is do we want
> separate git repos
> for each game, or all games in one 'kdegames' repo? If separate, what about
> libkdegames and
> libkmahjongg? both of them in one repo or separate?

I would highly highly highly recommend one repo for each game.
We went this way in KTp and overall it's been a lot easier.

You get:
 - clearer commit logs (as you don't have everything all in one)
 - easier for new developers to fix something (they don't have to
download and compile all of kdegames to fix knetwalk for example)
 - easier to package. In some senses a packager now has to deal with
lots more source files, but they no longer have to manually split
everything up.
 - easier rebases as you don't have irrelevant nonsense from other
games in your repository.

Downsides:
 - some-one wanting it all has to download lots of repos
However this can be solved by placing example kdesrc-build on your
wiki page. (we do this in KTp along with some scripts)
 - harder to have private libs (but you don't have that anyway(?))
 - some nitwit is going to download a new game without the newer
version of libkdegames then complain it doesn't work.
 - any new games now have to go through kde-review each time to get a
new repository, though this isn't really a bad thing.

You will need to git filter-branch --tree-filter in order to separate
them properly, I have experience with this. Feel free to assign to me
if you do go down this route.