[Kde-games-devel] Season of KDE

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue May 1 04:58:40 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012, at 11:05 AM, David Yang wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM, Stefan Majewsky <stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM, David Yang <davidyang6us at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Most remaining items under "Graphics stack" and "Rendering method" are
> already taken by a GSoC student,
> Bah, stupid competition

KTron is available.  KBreakout has two claims against it ATM.

> but the red items under "Theme
> selection" and "Sounds" are looking for volunteers.
> Well, I wouldn't mind that. Anything to help the project.
>
> There are some games under "Sounds" labeled "None", which means that
> there are sound files, but they are not played back. Implementing
> sound playback here might be especially rewarding because it actually
> introduces a new feature. KgSound is also reasonably simple to use:
> You basically need to construct KgSound instances for each sound when
> the application starts up, and call KgSound::play when the sound is to
> be played back.
> Sounds doable. There's only three games labelled "none", so I would probably
> have time to move on to the games using KNotify. (!?)
> And isn't KNotify the system notification program?

Yes, AFAIK.

> It's being used as the sound stack for games?

The preferred sound system for KDE Games is KgSound, using libraries
OpenAL and SndFile.  That is the combination that gives us crisp, clear
sounds, reliably and in time with the game action.  Maybe the games that
use KNotify are using "standard" system sounds.  Dunno why.

Cheers, Ian W.