[Kde-games-devel] Proposal for GSoC

Arjun Basu arjunkbasu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:02:07 UTC 2012

Thanks a lot for your review.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/03/2012, at 4:39 AM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag, 25. März 2012, 03:58:32 schrieb Arjun Basu:
> >> My Project mainly aims at developing the board game “Monopoly” using QML
> >>   /Qt Quick
> >
> > can you re-use parts of atlantik?
>
> You should tread very carefully here, Arjun.
>
> Firstly, the original author of Atlantik spent years working on it and
> never really finished.
> It was eventually dropped from KDE Games because nobody was
> able/willing/had-time
> to convert it to KDE 4 from KDE 3 and the original author, Rob Kaper, had
> long since
> departed from KDE Games.  I know QML/Qt Quick is supposed to reduce the
> time
> taken to program, but will it reduce years to months?  In other words, is
> the project
> just too big for GSoC?  And is QML/Qt Quick a miracle cure for the need to
> program?
> I have seen many such packages come and go in the course of a long career,
> yet
> here I am --- still coding away … :-)  There have been many improvements in
> programming tools and practice, but no revolutions.
>
> I was not aware of atlantik at all and its really sad to hear that it
couldn't be ported from KDE 3 to KDE 4. Actually
QML reduces the time as well as code to design interfaces drastically. The
game play logic would have been in plain C++ .

> Secondly, Rob Kaper was always worried about infringing copyrights and
> trademarks
> when he was working on Atlantik, which was based on Monopoly.  I think
> Hasbro and/or
> Parker Brothers hold the copyright on Monopoly.  You really must use
> another name.
> Also you should try and set up a completely different
> scenario/artwork/currency etc.
> How about basing it on ancient Indian legends and folklore?  I dare say
> Hasbro have
> already done versions of Monopoly based on modern Indian cities.  For
> further ideas
> see the KDE Games thread beginning and ending at:
>    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-games-devel&m=107401555517073&w=2
>    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-games-devel&m=107478674402761&w=2
> Unfortunately Rob Kaper's web page on this topic seems to have disappeared.
>
> I didn't consider the copyright at all. Thank you for pointing that out.

> All in all, I think it would be safer if you choose an existing KDE Game
> to rewrite
> in QML/Qt Quick.  I think you would have a greater chance of success
> within the
> time-frame available and you would satisfy our objective of learning more
> about
> the strengths and weaknesses of QML/Qt Quick.

After some thinking , I think what you suggested would be better. I would
modify my proposal to port existing games into QML/Qt Quick . I was
thinking of porting one board based game and a card game so that the
porting aspect of almost all kind of games would be available as an example
for future ports.

> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> All the best, Ian W.

Arjun Basu