[Kde-games-devel] Rule writing, common data

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 23:51:28 UTC 2012

Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Palapeli's now finished, and I'm facing challenges.
>
> The first Palapeli repo I built is 136 megabytes large. This is caused
> by early phases in the development (up to the end of 2010) where I
> stored in the repo pre-generated puzzle files for the default
> collection. Each of these binary files is about 3-4 megabytes large,
> and they were reuploaded multiple times.
>
> So a palapeli-history repo is definitely necessary. For the
> non-history repo, I tried to use only the history after the import
> into trunk, but I found that this timeframe also contains multiple
> puzzle files. Still about 60 megabytes.

Before seeing your email, I noticed palapeli was 136MB and tried to shrink
the files. I tried both recompressing the gzipped .puzzle files with
advdef -z4, and *de*compressing them to let git do compression/delta as we
plan to do for SVGs, but nothing helped, at least not enough.

> Another alternative I investigated was to use the complete history,
> and delete all binary puzzle files from it. The result is not a
> complete history: It is possible to reconstruct the puzzle files, but
> it's certainly nontrivial even for me. The resulting repo is only 4 MB
> large; definitely a reasonable size. The only binary data files in
> there are the base images for the default puzzles. (These files were
> only uploaded once and never changed after then.)
>
> I therefore suggest the following resolution for Palapeli:
>
> 1. Upload the complete imported history as a read-only "palapeli-history"
> repo. 2. Upload the same history, stripped of any binary puzzle files, as
> the "palapeli" repo.

I can also reproduce these results: removing the .pala and .puzzle files
makes the repository a mere 3.6MB.

So I agree with removing them. But I'm not sure if we should have a
palapeli-history repo; maybe we should simply tell people to grab the old
files from SVN history if they want them. As far as I know, SVN isn't going
away anytime soon.

There is also precedent for this: look at kdeedu/kstars-filter and
bin/deleter-fb in the kde-ruleset repository.

--
Nicolas