[Kde-games-devel] Rule writing, common data

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:35:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Stefan Majewsky
<stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:
> (Palapeli's still cooking.)

Palapeli's now finished, and I'm facing challenges.

The first Palapeli repo I built is 136 megabytes large. This is caused
by early phases in the development (up to the end of 2010) where I
stored in the repo pre-generated puzzle files for the default
collection. Each of these binary files is about 3-4 megabytes large,
and they were reuploaded multiple times.

So a palapeli-history repo is definitely necessary. For the
non-history repo, I tried to use only the history after the import
into trunk, but I found that this timeframe also contains multiple
puzzle files. Still about 60 megabytes.

Another alternative I investigated was to use the complete history,
and delete all binary puzzle files from it. The result is not a
complete history: It is possible to reconstruct the puzzle files, but
it's certainly nontrivial even for me. The resulting repo is only 4 MB
large; definitely a reasonable size. The only binary data files in
there are the base images for the default puzzles. (These files were
only uploaded once and never changed after then.)

I therefore suggest the following resolution for Palapeli:

1. Upload the complete imported history as a read-only "palapeli-history" repo.
2. Upload the same history, stripped of any binary puzzle files, as
the "palapeli" repo.

The "palapeli" repo then contains the whole source code history, and
the "palapeli-history" repo is available for the unprobable cases that
someone would like to retrieve pre-2010 puzzle files or would like to
compile a pre-2010 source tree. If everyone likes this, I'll commit
the rules as such to kde-ruleset and upload the stripped repo for
checking.

Greetings
Stefan