[Kde-games-devel] GSoC project: Write a KDE game using QML

Viranch Mehta viranch.mehta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 04:25:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the pro-tip Stefan ;)

I spent last 2 days looking at the code of kbreakout keeping in mind
the purpose of porting it to QML. I observed that the game engine
directly handles the movement of the bar, ball, etc. items in the game
in accordance with the logic of the moment. But this is not how it
should be imo, or at least from qml's point of view.

What I have in mind for qml kbreakout is something of the sort:

1. The KGameCanvasWidget of the game is replaced by the
QDeclarativeView which loads the qml game view.

2. There is pure logic code in c++ classes which does not interact
with the graphic items whatsoever.

3. Whatever data the logic needs from the graphics items (position,
direction, speed, etc. of the bricks, ball, bar, etc.) would be communicated
by the main window of the game.

4. Input events from the qml view will be taken in by the main window
and passed to the logic code, and the resulting reaction (if any) would
be passed form the logic code through the main window to the qml
view.

Ideas on this?

Cheers,
Viranch