[Kde-games-devel] GSoC project: Write a KDE game using QML

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 8 20:51:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Viranch Mehta <viranch.mehta at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see there is no maintainer for kbreakout (and I like that game!). I wanted
> to know how I can build only kbreakout from trunk. Checking out kdegames
> gives me all of the games, and building only kbreakout gives me cmake
> errors (of course!). So how can I build minimal required stuff fr kbreakout
> without checking out entire kdegames?

CMake requires the toplevel CMakeLists.txt (from the
trunk/KDE/kdegames directory).

But SVN has an interesting feature where you can checkout the main
kdegames directory, and then selectively get only that code which you
are interested in. The important part is the -N flag:

$ svn checkout -N svn://anonsvn.blablabla/yadda/yadda/KDE/kdegames
$ cd kdegames

Now you've got only the top directory and the files in it, but no
subdirectories. Next we need some auxiliary files for CMake:

$ svn update cmake

You'll also need the libraries which CMake does not consider optional.

$ svn update libkdegames libkmahjongg

Now you should already be able to run CMake. But of course you want
the KBreakout code, too:

$ svn update kbreakout

The build process is as usual:

$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ..
$ make

Pro-tip: If you want to avoid the hassle with installing everything,
keep KBreakout's distribution package installed (for the game data:
graphics etc.) and run the executable from the build directory.

$ build/kbreakout/src/kbreakout.shell

"kbreakout.shell" is an autogenerated shell script which runs the
"kbreakout" binary in the same directory, and makes sure that you use
the uninstalled libkdegames from your build.

Greetings
Stefan