[Kde-games-devel] GSoC

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:21:11 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012, at 9:41 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Ashwin <ashwin_rajeev at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am interested in GSoC project "Write a KDE game using QML ("Qt Quick")". I
>> am familiar with QML. I like to write a new game from scratch but i dont
>> have a idea for it. So can you please tell me what to do?
>
> Your best bet would be to start reading existing code, because it
> shows you how to do things. When I did my first contribution to
> kdegames (by writing KDiamond), I copied most of the GUI code from
> KNetWalk.
>
> Tutorials are also a very good starting point (perhaps even better). I
> remember a QML tutorial implementing a SameGame; find it in the Qt
> documentation at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest (somewhere around
> there).
>
> Most importantly, you will need to have a good idea for which game to
> use. The key here is inspiration. Most kdegames are "clones" of
> existing board, card, or video games. It might be a good idea to
> revive a KDE game that was lost e.g. in the KDE 3->4 transition phase.

Click!  Ah, yes!  I was going to suggest KSokoban as a possible QML game.

It is a nice game: animation not too fast, not a lot of game-logic, no AI, but
a nice challenge for the human player and lots of levels and level-sets.  Some
time ago I was starting to rewrite KSokoban (the KDE 3 code was far more
complicated than it needed to be), but Magazynier got ahead of me and I
stood aside.  Sadly Magazynier is still in playground and work on it appears
to be at a standstill … :-(

Cheers, Ian W.