[Kde-games-devel] GSoC

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 6 22:41:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Ashwin <ashwin_rajeev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in GSoC project "Write a KDE game using QML ("Qt Quick")". I
> am familiar with QML. I like to write a new game from scratch but i dont
> have a idea for it. So can you please tell me what to do?

Your best bet would be to start reading existing code, because it
shows you how to do things. When I did my first contribution to
kdegames (by writing KDiamond), I copied most of the GUI code from
KNetWalk.

Tutorials are also a very good starting point (perhaps even better). I
remember a QML tutorial implementing a SameGame; find it in the Qt
documentation at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest (somewhere around
there).

Most importantly, you will need to have a good idea for which game to
use. The key here is inspiration. Most kdegames are "clones" of
existing board, card, or video games. It might be a good idea to
revive a KDE game that was lost e.g. in the KDE 3->4 transition phase.

http://websvn.kde.org/tags/unmaintained/4/ lists all apps which were
discontinued in the last few years, games there include Atlantik, a
Monopoly clone; Kenolaba, an Abalone clone; KFoulEggs and KPoker. I
also remember a list of requested games somewhere on
http://techbase.kde.org.

Greetings
Stefan