[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:50:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Christian Krippendorf
<Coding at christian-krippendorf.de> wrote:
> 500MB isn't really much today

Although you have a point in that technology moves, I disagree with
your position.

Since kdegames is so low on staff, we need to keep the potential
drive-by contributor in mind. If the bootstrap for a drive-by
contribution involves a 500 MB download, we pose a high entry barrier:
Consider a (stable!) 2 Mbit/s connection, as it is still common here
in rural regions of industrialized Germany. 2 Mbit/s is a quarter MB
per second, thus 500 MB are transferred (under absolutely ideal
conditions) in 2000 seconds, that is: 33 minutes. Because the
connection is ideal, it'll take about 45 minutes. Unacceptable!

Even with my 16 Mbit/s connection (that's about top notch in Germany),
the download time is approximately 5.6 minutes. That's still enough
time for me to forget what I was about to contribute.

I remember that someone already had done svn2git rules for split repos
(Frederik?). Do the resulting repos exist anywhere? If they cannot be
cloned from my site, can someone with access please do the following:

for repo in bomber bovo ...; do
    cd /path/to/$repo
    git repack -adf && git prune
    du -hs $repo/.git
done

I think the repo of one game, complete with artwork and other data
files, should not exceed 30 megabytes. That's already two minutes of
download on a 2 Mbit/s line. If some repos come near or exceed this
point, these should be split into code and data repos.

Greetings
Stefan