[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Jan 31 08:52:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 20:10:18 -0500
Parker Coates <parker.coates at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 18:26, Kleag <kleag at free.fr> wrote:
> > Le mardi 31 janvier 2012 00:02:45 Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> >> El Dilluns, 30 de gener de 2012, a les 23:48:30, Kleag va escriure:

> >> How much does it take for you to download 500MB? It takes a while for me, a
> >> pretty good way to put off contributors ;-)
> >
> > For me, it would be around 20 or 30 minutes, but just for the first time I
> > suppose.
>
> Another issue is that Git can't resume a clone if the connection is
> interrupted midway. So big repos are a problem for those with slow
> connections AND those with unstable connections.

For this, there's this service: https://caurea.org/ . You give it a git URL and
it packages it for you as a tar file and allows you to download it over
https:// . One problem I've ran into with this service is that it only
operates https:// which rules out some popular download managers which don't
handle it. When I told about it to the creator of that site, he said that the
download managers have to be fixed instead of making sure the git bundler
service is also available on plain http://.

Finally, http://projects.kde.org/ provides tarballs for the repositories (and
over http:// - :-)). See for example:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdebindings/perl/perlqt/repository

Note that I'm not voicing an opinion here, just saying that the problem you've
mentioned is not an issue.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish