[Kde-games-devel] Fullscreen view of kde games.

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 22:48:44 UTC 2012

On 07/01/2012, at 2:47 AM, Parker Coates wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 08:40, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Christian Krippendorf wrote:
>>> What does all of you say to this feature request? Would be great to have this
>>> implemented in the kdegames lib... ?
>>
>> I vote for implementing a proof of concept in one game, to see what
>> needs to be done in the general case. I see a KXmlGuiWindow subclass
>> coming.
>
> The big question for me from an interface perspective is how to let
> the user exit fullscreen mode. Ideally it'd be something consistent
> across all games and require no custom handling in each game. Since
> the "fullscreened" area might be a QWidget, a QGraphicsView, a
> KGameCanvas or maybe a QML scene, I don't see an easy way to add a
> consistent on-screen element. And relying on just a keyboard shortcut
> is somewhat dangerous as users who use a menu item to go fullscreen
> won't know to use the shortcut to get back.
>
> I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I think it's a good one. I'm just
> saying there are some tricky UI design issues that need to be solved
> before we can think about the (probably not that difficult)
> implementation issues.

FWIW there is already a Full Screen method in KDE libs.  It is available in
KGoldrunner Settings menu.  It can be implemented with very few lines
of extra code.  One drawback is that KXmlGuiWindow does not remember
the setting and, worse still, starts the next session as a maximised window,
forgetting any smaller size setting you may have had before.

In a KDE desktop Full Screen expands the main window to full screen, but
keeps the menu visible.  On a MAC OS X desktop (where the menu is already
at the top of the screen and also contains "systray" type items), the menu
disappears (which is a bit disconcerting at first), but it comes back when you
move the pointer to the top of the screen.

I don't use full-screen mode much with KDE Games even when it is available,
because our games are mostly designed around a 4x3 screen format and I have
a wide-screen laptop, so full-screen leaves blank areas or distorted background
at left and right.

It would be nice to have Full Screen in Palapeli, though.

All the best, Ian W.