[Kde-games-devel] Fullscreen view of kde games.

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:47:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 08:40, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Christian Krippendorf wrote:
>> What does all of you say to this feature request? Would be great to have this
>> implemented in the kdegames lib... ?
>
> I vote for implementing a proof of concept in one game, to see what
> needs to be done in the general case. I see a KXmlGuiWindow subclass
> coming.

The big question for me from an interface perspective is how to let
the user exit fullscreen mode. Ideally it'd be something consistent
across all games and require no custom handling in each game. Since
the "fullscreened" area might be a QWidget, a QGraphicsView, a
KGameCanvas or maybe a QML scene, I don't see an easy way to add a
consistent on-screen element. And relying on just a keyboard shortcut
is somewhat dangerous as users who use a menu item to go fullscreen
won't know to use the shortcut to get back.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I think it's a good one. I'm just
saying there are some tricky UI design issues that need to be solved
before we can think about the (probably not that difficult)
implementation issues.

Parker