[Kde-games-devel] Questions about including a new game

Jakob Gruber jakob.gruber at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:16:12 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 03:30 AM, Ian Wadham wrote:

> @Jakob: The Wikipedia example builds a clearer second copy of the pictogram
> at top left.  I think that is a nice feature.

I think so too, however I've been reluctant to use it while the puzzles
are all randomly generated and aren't nice to look at.

> Long story short: it is not enough to have an idea for a new KDE Game.  You
> need to be prepared to stay around and look after it for a few years …  Nobody
> else is going to.

I'm prepared to maintain the game in the long-run. I've been working
picmi since around 2 years, in which it's undergone 2 transitions (from
SDL to SFML and finally to QGraphicsScene).

> That said, if we like the look of your game and your code and it meets some
> standard KDE requirements, there is a process for introducing it into KDE,
> starting at a place in the repository called "playground", where it can be
> developed but not released and other people can try it out.  When ready,
> it can move to another place called "review" and finally into KDE Games
> "trunk", from which it can be released next time there is a KDE release.

Thanks for the quick overview. I'm assuming you didn't get a chance to
look at it? For convenience, here's a quick oneliner to clone, compile
and execute the game:

git clone git://github.com/schuay/picmi-rewrite.git && pushd
picmi-rewrite && make && build/picmi && popd

(The working directory needs to be the project root for the graphics to
load correctly without installation)

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if you 'like the look of my
game' (no need to hold back if you don't, I can handle it); and if yes,
which changes (code cleanups, integration of KDE technologies, name
changes, ...) would need to be made. You mentioned standard KDE
requirements, are these documented somewhere?

Jakob