[Kde-games-devel] libkdegames v5: deletions, audio, naming conventions

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 13 20:59:27 UTC 2012

Moin moin,

so the first cleanup round is done. All API that is clearly deprecated
has been deleted from the source tree. Besides KGGZ, this concerns
unused classes like KGameLCD or KGameProgress. The wiki page [1] has
been updated accordingly.

This evening I have merged TagaroAudio into libkdegames. The review
request has been publicized on this list already.

As you see in that patch, I have called the new classes "KgAudioScene"
and "KgSound". This is a voluntary departure from the old naming
convention "KGameFoo". I actually intend to rename all classes to the
new naming scheme "KgFoo", for the following reasons:

1. As a newcomer, it confused me that most classes in libkdegames are
prefixed "KGame", but only some of these belong to the so-called
"KGame" framework. Even if KGame is now removed from the libkdegames
API, I expect something like KGame to appear again. And the name is
catchy, I don't want to occupy this for a library class name prefix.

2. Changing the class names right now in the BC break ensures that any
users of the library outside kdegames notice the break.

That reminds me that I need to start writing a porting advisory document.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Games/API_cleanup
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Porting_to_libkdegames_v5