[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:53:45 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012, at 11:28 PM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzer at kde.org> wrote:
>> As for the list of all games ->
>> http://projects.kde.org/kde_projects.xml
>> Every "project" under the "kdegames" module would be a game.
>> No, I do not consider that info easily digestible. Someone would have
>> to write a script to extract the needed data. Preferably generic
>> enough to be useful to all modules. But well, the irony. ;)
>
> 1. kdesrc-build reads this information. Don't know about the rest, so RTFM. ;-)

If we have one repo per game, kdesrc-build will rely on us keeping that
XML file up-to-date at all times …

> 2. Alexander Neundorf of CMake fame is working on a "SuperBuild". This
> is still WIP, but I think that it is very likely to become the
> preferred workflow for compiling a split kdelibs.

Alex already wrote superbuild CMakefile scripts for a few KDE modules.
We could emulate one of them for KDE Games.  That is what I was
referring to.  It also would have to be kept up-to-date somehow.

A bit off topic, but I think the way KDE should go is to have a relational
database to record everything known about components, dependencies,
contents of modules, etc., etc.  Once you have that it is not too hard keep track
of everything and generate scripts and other outputs for particular purposes.

We were doing that in the 90s, in my last paid job, to manage builds and
releases of millions of lines of code, using just RCS as the base source-code
control system, would you believe.  Application programmers only had to use
forms-type screens to manage their checkouts and checkins.  Only a couple
of people (I was one) had to do the admin work.

However, I was unable to persuade Alex and others on the build list re the
RDB idea.  FWIW, Macports (on Apple Mac) uses a DB to drive everything. e.g.

Tara:~>port info kdegames4
kdegames4 @4.7.4 (kde, kde4)
Variants:             debug, docs
Homepage:             http://www.kde.org
Build Dependencies:   cmake, pkgconfig, automoc
Library Dependencies: qt4-mac, phonon, kdelibs4, kde4-runtime, libsndfile,
                      qhull, ggz-client-libs
Platforms:            darwin
License:              GPL-2+ LGPL-2+ GFDL-1.2
Maintainers:          snc at macports.org, sharky at macports.org

Tara:~>port installed | grep snd
 libsndfile @1.0.25_0 (active)

And when you do "port install xxxxx @nnnn" it automatically finds all the dependencies
of "xxxxx" version nnnn, notes which ones you already have, diagnoses any version
clashes, then fetches whatever you need and compiles and builds it in the correct order.

Cheers, Ian W.