[Kde-games-devel] svgz in git

Parker Coates coates at kde.org
Sat Aug 25 19:39:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2012, 09:47:29 schrieb Parker Coates:
>> Hmm. If you're certain that you're cleaning up your repositories
>> correctly, then I must have broken the script at some point, because
>> this approach was definitely yielding results at one point. [1]
>
> You are right, I was not able to clean up everything. I did
>
> # remove original refs
> git reflog expire --expire=now --all
> git gc --aggressive --prune=now
>
> but git verify-pack -v *idx in .git/objects/pack still showed
> commits that should not be there anymore.
>
> Only after cloning using the file:// protocol, I got
> a smaller repository. (up to now I just said git clone from_directory
> but that one copies too much)

I had read about that behaviour long ago [1], but I had completely
forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. I'm actually working on a git
migration for my day job and was also having issues with repositories
not shrinking as much as I expected them to after a filter-branch.

> So I now activated optimizing svg/png in the conversion script.

I'm so glad that you got it working again. In the end, are the size
savings considerable?

Parker

[1] http://git-scm.com/book/ch4-1.html