[Kde-games-devel] kajongg -> git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:53:08 UTC 2012

On 16/08/2012, at 6:18 AM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2012, 22:15:37 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>>> Maybe it is better to simply skip checking - if something goes wrong,
>>> repeat the migration and have everybody rebase. There are so few games
>>> developers right now that I think this would be doable.
>>
>> I thought you were doing that?
>
> yes - and IMHO all games are ready. But is it really acceptable that
> nobody else checks?

What checking do you expect us to do?  The only check I am really
interested in is a byte-by-byte comparison between the SVN and git
versions of my games, but I do not know how to do that.  Presumably
it would have to begin with some sort of freeze in SVN and I am
certainly not in a position to freeze KGoldrunner and KBounce
right now.

Re checking history, I do not know how to do that.  I can browse
WebSVN and pick out some key events (Battle of Waterloo, 1815 :-) )
then see if the same events are recorded in git.  But then I do not
know how to work git, nor the KDE git repository browser, and I do
not have time to learn right now.  I am not even sure where to find
the KDE repositories these days … :-(

Even if I did the above check it would be just a spot-check, not a
systematic one.  How much does checking the history really matter?

I did learn about git two years ago, but then nothing happened on that
front in KDE Games.  Then for personal (and Phonon vs. KGoldrunner)
reasons I was drawn away from KDE Games mainstream for the best
part of a year and forgot all I had learned of git.

Now I need time to learn it again, but I do not have that time this week
and probably not next week either.

> If yes, and if I should do the migration, I would propose to fix a date
> for migration: 2nd week of september. That is one week after my
> vacations.

I might be able to aim at that, if I can fulfil some other commitments
before then, the biggest one being to get our GSoC students' work
finalised and tidied away.  "Firm pencils down date" is 20th August,
but I think there will be ongoing work on KGoldrunner after that and
I hope there will be some discussion of QML results in KDE Games
and maybe some code and library changes.

Cheers, Ian W.