[Kde-games-devel] svgz in git

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:17:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> is size still of concern?
>
> there was the idea of PovAddict (btw who is that?) to recompress them
> with zero compression, but I cannot see how to invoke gzip to do that.

See kde-ruleset/bin/recompress-svgz-and-png.sh. It does all the magic
for you. In a few cases it resulted in noticeable space savings.

At one point, I was spearheading this particular issue, but as you may
have noticed I haven't had much KDE time lately. Ultimately, I wanted
us to store only SVG files in the repo which are compressed to SVGZ at
build time to reduce package sizes and disk usage, while still giving
us small, semi-readable diffs. Unfortunately, I ran out of time before
I found a cross-platform solution that I liked.

> after running git gc --aggressive, those are repo sizes:

Just for your information, see
kde-ruleset/bin/git-repack-super-aggressive. While it's definitely
quite CPU and memory intensive, it can always squeeze out a bit more
space than just a git-gc --agressive.

Personally, I feel that since the effort has gone into producing the
above two scripts it only makes sense to use them, but as someone who
hasn't been contributing much lately, I really don't feel I have much
say.

Thanks for working on this again, Wolfgang.

Parker