[Kde-games-devel] Season of KDE

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:25:41 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM, David Yang <davidyang6us at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't help but notice that knights is a very respectable chess app. I
> would like to assist in fixing or helping with whatever may be obstructing
> it's inclusion in kdegames,

Knights has chosen not to follow the general KDE release cycle and is
therefore categorized in the "Extragear" section, just like other KDE
applications with their own release schedule (e.g. Amarok and
Calligra).

> If those games are already taken by other prospective students, ...

Yes, I think they are.

> ...I'm fine
> with porting other parts of kdegames. I'm also probably going to need a
> mentor, which I trust some kind soul will volunteer to do.

I am currently working on a major update for libkdegames. With 40 apps
in kdegames, it becomes quite daunting to update all uses of
deprecated classes to the newer ones, so I could use some help there.
An overview of what needs to be done is at [1].

Most remaining items under "Graphics stack" and "Rendering method" are
already taken by a GSoC student, but the red items under "Theme
selection" and "Sounds" are looking for volunteers.

There are some games under "Sounds" labeled "None", which means that
there are sound files, but they are not played back. Implementing
sound playback here might be especially rewarding because it actually
introduces a new feature. KgSound is also reasonably simple to use:
You basically need to construct KgSound instances for each sound when
the application starts up, and call KgSound::play when the sound is to
be played back.

I don't know if you need more information to get started with KDE
development. I used to point to the tutorial "Setting up a KDE
development environment" which is linked on the techbase.kde.org front
page, but it seems to be directed towards Git nowadays. (We still have
to switch from SVN.) If you need assistance, please feel free to ask
as much questions as you desire on this list.

Greetings
Stefan

[1] http://community.kde.org/KDE_Games/Porting