[Kde-games-devel] What are the deliverables for KDE Games GSoC?

Pankaj Nathani croozeus at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 20:06:26 UTC 2012

Hi Stefan,
I am a QML mentor for KDE games in year's season of GSoC. Thanks for your comments. I can't agree with you more with the approach you mentioned.
> This can realistically be achieved only by > reusing the existing UI-independent parts of the > code (what one typically calls "business> logic", or "game logic" in this case) as much as possible.
Agreed. So indentifying resusable code is going to be the first task for the students after they are familiar with the existing code.
> Ideally, the resulting application code can be built both for the> desktop (with the traditional QtWidgets-based interface) and for> mobile (with the QML interface), just by toggling a switch in CMake.> This will make maintenance much easier.
This is an ideal situation. But do you suggest that the QML UI should only be used on mobile devices? QML interface could be pretty cool to be played on the desktop too!
Also for the mobile version - special care needs to be taken for screen resolutions and memory management. Students should bear this in mind should they want to support mobile versions for their games.
> Number 2 sounds good. It does not make sense to rewrite the game> logic, which is essentially the same regardless of the user interface> technology. The exception is that logic code might need some> adaptation in order to provide the interfaces which QML wants.
Agreed! Is it ok if new logic (if any) is written in javascript / Qt C++? I feel, either one should be fine but I would prefer keeping all "game logic" in C++ since it's already in C++ and using javascript for UI related logic like view-switching, state changes, animations, etc.
> However, I want to explicitly encourage QML students to first strive> for an interface that works well for the specific game. When this goal> has been achieved, we have a solid basis from which we can determine> which parts of this interface can be generalized for use in other> games.
> On the other hand, I arrived at a usable> prototype for such a component in only one hour using QML/Qt Quick.
It makes sense to have a set of resuable QML "game" or even general QML components ready after this activity.  But agreed, students should concentrate on the QML interface to work with the game first. However while doing so it makes sense for them to carefully craft all the QML UI components so that they can be easily reused.
Cheerio,Pankaj.