[Kde-games-devel] Re: Build patch

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu May 19 05:32:48 CEST 2011

On Thursday 19 May 2011 12:17:07 am Parker Coates wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 22:59, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > KDE Games guys, especially Mathias: I had to put the dependency in the
> > top-level kdegames/CMakeLists.txt.  I hope you do not mind.  I was hoping
> > to avoid that.
>
> That was exactly what I was hoping you would do.

Raphael Kubo da Costa, at kde-buildsystem has suggested another way
to go.  I am currently trying this idea out, but will not commit any further
CMakeLists.txt changes until after the Beta release.
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-buildsystem/2011-May/007706.html

> > Warning: If OpenAL is not installed, Granatier will not be built and
> > KGoldrunner will be built but with its sound feature completely disabled.
> > This is not a very happy state of affairs, but I could not see what else
> > to do.
>
> That seems perfect to me. Why do you consider it "not a very happy
> state of affairs"? I guess in theory it'd be nice if Granatier
> supported building without sound, but OpenAL isn't really an exotic
> dependency, so I don't see this being a big issue for packagers.

It is fine for someone who wishes to build the latest KDE Games and
is not concerned about sound, Granatier or KGoldrunner, or does not
wish to locate and install OpenAL and SndFile.

It is not so good if the latest versions of Granatier and KGoldrunner
fail to be built downstream somewhere and do not get released and
distributed.  In that situation, I do not wish to take chances on who has
OpenAL and SndFile installed.

I guess Kubrick is in the same boat, but nowadays *everybody* has
OpenGL because it has become mainstream in Qt and KDE.

Cheers, Ian W.