[Kde-games-devel] Revision No. 20 of my patch to integrate fc-solve into kpat

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Jan 31 15:56:53 CET 2011

Hi all,

You can find the 20th revision of my patch to integrate fc-solve
( http://fc-solve.berlios.de/ ) into KDE's KPatience here:

1. http://www.shlomifish.org/kpat-fc-solve/

2. https://bitbucket.org/shlomif/kdegames (branch "kpat-fc-solve-integration"
).

I started maintaining the patch to the sources inside a Mercurial repository
in order to prevent data loss after I nearly completely lost two files after I
deleted all files marked as "? " in my Subversion working copy (and luckily
was saved by Vim's *~ backup files).

The changes since last time are many - I extract a common abstract base class
called FcSolveSolver which allowed me to get rid of a lot of duplicate code,
and now the source of the Freecell Solver library is not embedded inside, but
rather required from its pkg-config file. This brought a detection that fc-
solve did not properly install all the required headers, which will be fixed
in the next release and meanwhile requires building the fc-solve trunk:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/fc-solve/fc-solve/trunk/

I also fixed many other bugs in the patch, and from what I tested it is
working nicely.

An open question is which preset of Freecell Solver (see
"--load-config" here - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/docs/distro/USAGE.html ) to
use. As expected, some presets are faster (on average) and yield relatively
long results (on average) , while others are slower and yield relatively short
results. I have an idea for constructing a preset that will try some
heuristics that yield short solutions with a fallback on a fast heuristic,
which won't require any patching to fc-solve, just playing with command line
arguments.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish