[Kde-games-devel] Re: Tagaro as an application?

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Tue Jan 18 02:46:47 CET 2011

On Monday 17 Jan 2011 19:19:19 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Montag, 17. Januar 2011, 00:39:28 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
> >   GamingFreedom.org (our distribution site) uses the Open Collaboration
> >
> > Services for all contact between the player applications and the server
> > (and gluon creator as well)... We will need a few extra things as well,
> > in particular you might've seen a random note about a new module for
> > achievements. Other than that, of course, high scores, savegames and the
> > like will need some storage server side.
>
> Where is this documented? Do you have some wiki page, Etherpad document or
> such where I can enter my thoughts on what API will be needed?

  The technical details are not documented, but the wide concept is documented
in our vision document at http://gluon.gamingfreedom.org/node/7. That, plus
the current version of GamingFreedom.org as found at test.gamingfreedom.org
(simply an instance of the openDesktop.org codebase, hosting etc sponsored by
Frank Karlitschek). So, no, there isn't any at the moment, apart from the
Achievements module, which is being discussed on the OCS mailing list. So, the
wiki page you set up would seem a sensible place to take up this discussion :)

> Also, do you have any code or concepts for how local storage of all this
> will look like? Everything has to work off-line, so the library or the
> Tagaro application should store the necessary bits locally.
>
> So, apart from the actual ontology of storable objects, I would like to
> specify some default location where stuff is stored on disk, so that
> non-KDE and non-Gluon apps can reuse this infrastructure. Imagine the
> XMoto server providing an OCS interface, so Tagaro can download updated
> XMoto levels and upload highscores in the background if the user wants it
> to do that.

  i do rather like the sound of that :) Actually, i have been considering
putting together a Gluon sprint soon, and now i'm starting to wonder if this
should not rather be a more general KDE/floss Games sprint... And as soon as
we can get away with :) This sort of thing is just so much easier to figure
out in person on a big whiteboard, and a sprint, well... so how about it? :)
Shall i start trying to put together some potential dates for it and get a
doodle for it so we can figure out when people are available? :)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-