[Kde-games-devel] Re: introducing synchrotron

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 5 21:37:02 CET 2011

On Wednesday, January 5, 2011, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Not to imply that your software isn't great,

oh, don't worry: it isn't great :) it's something simple to accomplish a very
specific task.

> however your presentation of
> it in the blog entry is unfortunately far from completeness and simply
> skips over the comparison to the existing free GHNS feed generators and
> thus portraits re-implementation of existing functionality as the
> invention of the wheel. Hotstuff for example can also be driven by version
> control system hooks and has some sort of OCS-compatible feed generator.
> According to our usual community spirit, I would have appreciated bug
> reports or wishlist mails to add missing functionality instead of having
> to see yet another such project.

i wasn't aware hotstuff was still active or even an option. last time we
talked about these things, the hotstuff server wasn't ready for this kind of
thing, and tbh, perl is really not my cup of tea. not that PHP is, either, but
i can sling it with a bit more ease.

if hotstuff can be made to do precisely what i need (namely: to turn a bunch
of directories in a git repo into a set of feeds; zip compression and reading
metadata from .desktop files are critical features for the plasma content) and
is easily installed and maintained somewhere we can use, i'm happy to drop
synchrotron like a hot potato.

i don't need to maintain yet another project. i do need the functionality it
provides and it was quite easy to write it. as a result i have precisely what
i need in very little time.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se