[Kde-games-devel] Re: introducing synchrotron

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Jan 5 20:51:52 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, 5. Januar 2011, 20:23:55 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> adding new feeds as well as adding, updating and removing content is all
> automated and follows the activity in the "sources" git repository. commit
> a new addon, wait for the cron job on the server to run, it appears.
> remove it from the git repo, it disappears from the feed. commit a change,
> it shows up as updated. voila. :)

This means that we now have three systems to host GHNS data:
- the opendesktop one (partially non-free, but AFAIK OCS parts are free)
- hotstuff (free since 2004, http://svn.kstuff.org/browser/trunk/hotstuff)
- synchrotron (free)

Not to imply that your software isn't great, however your presentation of it
in the blog entry is unfortunately far from completeness and simply skips over
the comparison to the existing free GHNS feed generators and thus portraits
re-implementation of existing functionality as the invention of the wheel.
Hotstuff for example can also be driven by version control system hooks and has
some sort of OCS-compatible feed generator. According to our usual community
spirit, I would have appreciated bug reports or wishlist mails to add missing
functionality instead of having to see yet another such project.

Josef