[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move to git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 01:04:45 CET 2011

On Wednesday 02 February 2011 9:31:24 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2011, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > > kdelibs is only 230MB; i wonder if there isn't something that could be
> > > done to get that down from 500MB to something a bit more manageable. is
> > > it due to binary files in kdegames (sounds, images, etc)?
> >
> > A plain checkout (with all VCS dirs removed) of trunk/KDE/kdegames is
> > currently 108 MiB, of which (according to an estimation using
> > Filelight) at least ~80 MiB amount for themes, sounds and levels. Most
> > of these are compressed, so no gains are to be expected by diff'ing
> > between multiple revisions.
>
> would it be sensible to split the data from the source code, then? have an
> artwork module and a code module? git really rather sucks (as do all dvcs,
> fwiu) with binary files like this. we're facing the same question with the
> wallpapers that were in kdebase; they are no longer in kde-workspace and
>  we'll be finding a new home for them.

Sounds good to me.  Even text-based data file tend to have rather
meaningless diffs from one version to the next.  What really matters
is the picture, layout or sound and the visible/audible differences there.

BTW what would happen to doc/ if each game had its own git repo?
Currently all manuals are in their own sub-module.

All the best, Ian W.