[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move to git

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 23:31:24 CET 2011

On Tuesday, February 1, 2011, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > kdelibs is only 230MB; i wonder if there isn't something that could be
> > done to get that down from 500MB to something a bit more manageable. is
> > it due to binary files in kdegames (sounds, images, etc)?
>
> A plain checkout (with all VCS dirs removed) of trunk/KDE/kdegames is
> currently 108 MiB, of which (according to an estimation using
> Filelight) at least ~80 MiB amount for themes, sounds and levels. Most
> of these are compressed, so no gains are to be expected by diff'ing
> between multiple revisions.

would it be sensible to split the data from the source code, then? have an
artwork module and a code module? git really rather sucks (as do all dvcs,
fwiu) with binary files like this. we're facing the same question with the
wallpapers that were in kdebase; they are no longer in kde-workspace and we'll
be finding a new home for them.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se