[Kde-games-devel] Re: Whatever happened to Magazynier?

Niels Slot nielsslot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:30:06 CEST 2011

2011/4/28 Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com>

> Does anyone know what happened to Magazynier?  It was
> going to replace the long-lost KSokoban, which I loved.
>
> Magazynier is still in playground, but not much has been
> done to it lately.  Is anyone going to review and release it?
>
> Cheers, Ian W.

Thanks for brining this up Ian.  I've been meaning to send a mail about it,
but I haven't gotten around to it. I guess I could just as well write it
now.

First of all, I would still like to release Magazynier some day. I'm also
willing to maintain it once it gets released.

The last changes to Magazynier were by me, in October last year, I ported
Magazynier to KGameRenderer. I haven't seen any commits from tkadlubo, the
original author, lately. I don't know what his plans are for Magazynier.

The game itself is in pretty good shape already (it's playable). There are a
few things I remember that still need to be resolved before I would consider
a release or review.

1. Magazynier needs artwork. Its current default theme is called 'geometric'
and is very minimalistic. For a release Magazynier would need a nice default
theme, preferably something that looks like a mover with boxes in a
warehouse. Magazynier also doesn't have an icon yet.

2. Magazynier currently uses KScore to display the score a user had after
solving a level. This doesn't really work well. Scores in Magazynier are
related to a level, which resides in a level pack. Besides that, scores
consist of two parameters, time and number of moves. KScore doesn't provide
good way to model these kind of scores. I know there have been discussions
and work to create a more advanced score framework, but I lost track of it's
current status. When such a framework gets finished Magazynier can use it.
Until then, scores could also be disabled so that Magazynier can at least be
released.

That's my view on what happened to Magazynier, I hope it answered your
question somewhat.

Regards,

Niels