[Kde-games-devel] Re: Kolf hacking

Sat Oct 30 22:10:12 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 24. Oktober 2010, 22:07:50 schrieb Stefan Majewsky:
> In my local source tree, there is already a copy of the Box2D physics
> engine (which is usually statically linked, so no new external
> dependency). I have experimented with it in Kolf 2 and was quite satisfied
> with the results. I might be able to reuse some of the code from Kolf 2,
> yet quite some refactoring has to be done.

Time for a small update: I have integrated some components from
playground/games/kolf2, where Box2D integration had already worked.

I'm going a path of slow migration, in which the stepping functions of Kolf's
own physics engine and Box2D run at the same time. I'm currently testing for
regressions by changing the ball's velocity between both engines; only that
engine which carries out the ball movement is relevant for collision detection
and stuff.

All in all, this is working out very well, but I'm a bit stuck at the moment
because the ball now interacts with ghost walls. (Seems like I kinda inversed
the problem: Ball-wall collision was happening too seldomly; now it does so
too often!) I will not commit anything before I got this sorted out.¹

Greetings
Stefan

¹ The commits are available from git://git.bethselamin.de/kdegames-work.git in
the kolf-refactoring-tagaro branch.